Ridgewood boys and girls swept the team titles for the second straight year, the boys their third straight. Camryn Wennersten of Ridgewood and Old Tappan's with Jin Woo Song both picked up their first cross country individual BMOC titles!
In the boys race Jin Woo Song wowed the crowed with his Bergen County Meet of Champions win running a course PR of 16:12. He led the way with a six second lead over the field and this is just the second individual victory of his career, the other coming during a Big North batch meet in September.
Jin Woo Song battled with the leaders early before taking sole possession of the lead about midway through the race. He was 34th at this race in 2018, a year plagued by injuries, and he's worked hard to come back stronger.
"It really means a lot to me to win the county champs," Song stated post-race, "I had been suffering a few injuries a while back and I knew I had to step up this season and it feels great to be back."
He also stated he did it for his team and his teammate Steven Hatano who fell in the pack at the start of the race, he's okay other than some bruises, and didn't finish the race.
If you move to second place you'll find Aidan Sheridan who ran 16:18 to start the maroon wave of Ridgewood runners who scored 30 points for their third straight BMOC victory. Ridgewood finished three in the top five and had their fourth in by eight place. Jay Boogaert was second at 16:20, Sean Fortunato fourth 16:21, Taylor Barnabic eighth at 16:29, and bringing in their fifth was Frank Orlando in 21st at 16:45.
All together they split a mere 27 seconds and averaged 16:26!
The girls race was led by a familiar face with Camryn Wennersten out front early, the star sophomore posted a red hot 17:42 holding a 30 second lead over second place Corinne Barney of Indian Hills at 18:12 and third place Shannon Clancy of Bergen County Tech running 18:15.
Wennersten's one card led a strong Ridgewood attack that saw their entire scoring five in the top ten. Eating up fourth to sixth was her teammates Olivia Shattuck, 18:26, AnnaMarie Tretola, 18:27, and Lily Williams, 18:28, who are all sophomores as well. Their fifth scorer was junior Sarah Policano running ninth with a time of 18:49.
This all came to a dominating 25 points and impressive 18:22 average. After a long season of training to get to this point the squad, and Wennersten, is excited to unload all that work during championship season. The Ridgewood girls have ranked NJ#1 in our state rankings poll since the pre-season.
- Boys - Jin Woo Song (NV Old Tappan) 16:12 / Ridgewood 30pts
- Girls - Camryn Wennersten (Ridgewood) 17:42 / Ridgewood 25pts
- Boys - Bobby Oehrlein (Indian Hills) 15:42 / Ridgewood 77pts
- Girls - Daisy Liljegren (Northern Highlands) 17:42 / Ridgewood 30pts
- Boys - Will Baginski (Ridgewood) 15:41 / Ridgewood 88pts
- Girls - Monica Hebner (Northern Highlands) 17:28 / Northern Highlands 39pts
- Boys - David Rosas (Don Bosco Prep) 15:15 / Indian Hills 28pts
- Girls - Olympia Martin (Ridgewood) 17:56 / Northern Highlands 64pts
- Boys - Colin Day (River Dell) 15:09 / Don Bosco Prep 55pts
- Girls - Shannon Goria (River Dell) 17:55 / Ridgewood 54pts
- Boys - Patrick Sullivan (Don Bosco Prep) 15:18 / Don Bosco Prep 25pts
- Girls - Catherine Pagano (Northern Highlands) 17:30 / Ridgewood 45pts
- Boys - Bobby Corcoran (Indian Hills) 15:46 / Don Bosco Prep 52pts
- Girls - Josette Norris (Tenafly) 17:57 / Ridgewood 43pts
- Boys - Kyle Levermore (Don Bosco Prep) 15:35 / Don Bosco Prep 25pts
- Girls - Ariana North (Northern Highlands) 17:54 / Ridgewood 67pts
- Boys - Ben Malone (Pascack Valley) 15:38 / Don Bosco 20pts
- Girls - Ariana North (Northern Highlands) 18:22 / Ridgewood 41pts
- Boys - Patrick Rono (Lyndhurst) 15:17 / Don Bosco 68pts
- Girls - Erin Thompson (Immaculate Heart) 18:03 / Academy Holy Angels 32pts
- Boys - Patrick Rono (Lyndhurst) 15:30 / Don Bosco 43pts
- Girls - Erin Thompson (Immaculate Heart) 18:23 / Holy Angels 33pts
- Boys - Robert Molke (Don Bosco) 15:18 / Don Bosco 22pts
- Girls - Sarah Pagano (Immaculate Heart) 18:14 / Holy Angels 47pts
- Boys - Robert Mokke (Don Bosco) 15:26 / Don Bosco 37pts
- Girls - Sarah Pagano (Immaculate Heart) 18:25 / Immaculate Heart Academy 22pts