The NJSIAA committee meeting for cross country and track and field met this week via a virtual conference to discuss some changes coming our way. We highlight the discussion for quick reading and the full minutes sent over from the NJSIAA can be found below.
- *Updated* No State Relays 2021: The NJSIAA State Relay Championships will be taking a one year hiatus to return in 2022. The reason - Indoor Sectionals will need to be broken down to more sessions due to social distancing measures, this will require significantly more funds and the money usually used for State Relays will be put into hosting those extra Sectional meets. This group decision was mistakenly left out of the meeting minutes but later confirmed by NJSIAA Assistant Director Bill Bruno.
- More Ocean Breeze?: With the success in moving the Meet of Champions to Ocean Breeze the NJSIAA is also looking into moving Group Championships there, date requests have already been submitted. There will be an update on NJ MileSplit if they are accepted.
- Moving Outdoor MOCs?: The NJSIAA is currently in negotiations with Rutgers University to move the Meet of Champions to their brand new track and field facility in 2021.
- Paperless Entries: Online entry for the NJSIAA meets will now be entirely online, other than mailing the check payments. The usual waivers will be added to the registration process on MileSplit and the pricing model will be adjusted to create online invoices through the meet page entries.
- Non-Pub Sectionals: Possible Non-Public Sectional dates for indoor pending date availability.
- Revisit Medals: The medal situation at Sectionals will be brought to the NJSIAA finance team to see if the 4th, 5th, and 6th place medals can be added back into the meet. Outside sponsorship or non-engraved medals that can be recycled if not picked up to cut costs were discussed as options.
- Entry Fees: XC entry fees are no $20 per individual and $140 per team.
- Beef Up The Awards Ceremony: The NJXCTF Coaches Association expressed their interest in improving the award ceremony during NJSIAA meets, will be submitting a plan and helping with the process.
- Fate of XC: Was noted that the possibility of a cross country season and what that will even look like is a developing situation. It will be worked on in the coming months.