With Christian Brothers Academy leading the charge, NJ's best DMR teams burned up the track at the Varsity Classic on Monday night at the New Balance Track and Field Center in New York.
In the boys DMR, CBA and Ridge hooked up a great duel up front, and Liam Murphy of Allentown lit up the oval as he made a huge surge from the back as he put together a blazing anchor carry.
Ridge anchor Jackson Barna had a couple steps on University of Colorado-bound Shaw Powell of CBA when they touched off, but Powell dropped a 4:17.54 to overtake Barna and bring CBA across first in 10:17.63!!! Barna split 4:20.46 to bring Ridge across second in 10:19.39!! Those times are US#1 and US#2!!!
CBA's 10:17.63 is No.11 in school history, and Ridge's 10:19.39 smashed its school record by 16 seconds.
And how about the Villanova-bound Murphy!!!! The All-American from Allentown hammered out a 4:11.66 to bring his team from way back to third in 10:26.79. Allentown ran a US#6 10:25.68 at the state Group 3 Relays last month, but its 1,200 leg from that race (Nate Somers) ran the 3,200 instead on Monday.
The girls DMR was also a hot one as Ridgewood battled it out with North Rockland of NY.
Ridgewood held a slight lead after three legs before the great Katelyn Tuohy blasted a 4:47.04 to rally North Rockland to victory in a US #4 12:06.06. Ridgewood sophomore Camryn Wennersten had a sensational anchor leg of 4:52.45 to bring Ridgewood across second in a NJ#2/US#6 12:10.09.
What about the Haddonfield girls!!!!
The Dawgs dropped a NJ#2/US#2 9:22.18 to win the 4x800. Only Union Catholic (9:21.18) has run faster in the country this season than Haddonfield.
- Ola Porbeni of South Brunswick won the boys 55 dash in 6.60
- Qunich Hendy of West Side finished first in te boys 200 in 22.07.
- Adam Gorka of South Brunswick ran a NJ#2 49.46 to win the boys 400
- Elizabeth's Mackel Pierrilus soars a NJ#3 45-8 to capture the TJ
- Sophomore Jalen Ridgeway of Toms River North ran a NJ#4 1:55.66 to win the 800m.
- Winslow went 1-2 in the boys 55m hurdles as Terry McNeill went 7.69 and Brandon Greene 7.82.
- Deptford won the boys 4x400 in a NJ#5 3:25.15
- Edison went 8:05.29 to cross the line first in the 4x800.
- Alex Petric of Ridge cleared 14-0 to win the boys pole vault.
- John Purvis of Winslows, NJ #1 at 60-0, edged Patrick Passalacqua of Old Tappan, 59-10 1/2 to 59-1. The 59-1 is a new PR and NJ#3 for Passalacqua.
- Union junior Joy Enaohwo ran a NJ#4 7.19 to win the girls 55 dash
- West Orange's Andreee Celestin ran a NJ#9 8.36 to place second in the 55 hurdles.
- Kaleia Arrington of Piscataway blazed a NJ#4 25.55
- Nylah Perry of Winslow cranked out a NJ#2 56.85 to place second in the 400
- What a meet for Ridge!!! Morgan Lyons placed second in the 800 in a NJ#4 2:17.32, and teammate Manon Stephen won the 1,600 in 5:15.96. Ridge also won the 4x400 in 4:02.18
- Allison Lounsbury of Indian Hills won the 3,200 in 11:17.08
- Katelyn Reid of Middletown North leaped a PR of 17-4 1/2 to win the long jump.
- Winslow's Olivia Wright (NJ#6 36-8 3/4) and Shevell Higgs (NJ#9 36-5) went 1-2 in the triple jump.
- Jenna Engels of Piscataway cleared a PR and NJ#3 11-6 to win the pole vault on misses.
- West Orange's Danae Hill unloads a NJ#3 42-6 1/2 to capture the shot put