Edwin Klanke shattered the course record at Stephen Gregg Park in Bayonne, NJ on Saturday during the Hudson County Championships. The St. Peter's Prep junior ran a winning time of 15:19.9 to lead the field by around a minute and eight seconds.
The previous record was a 15:28.8 clocked by Memorial WNY's Francis Martingale at last year's championship, a race where Klanke was just a step behind in second at 15:29.5. Klanke is the first St. Peter's Prep individual winner since 2013 when Jimmy Sause brought home the title.
The one card by Klanke wasn't wasted in the scoring either as St. Peter's Prep ran to a dominating 18 point total to win their third straight team county team championship and their seventh in the past eight years. With a blazing 16:10 average, just a second off their own course record average from last year, SPP finished their scoring five within the top seven, Rodolfo Sanchez nj second, 16:11.4, Liam Concannon third, 16:17.9, Tyler Parrado fifth, 16:20.5, and Patrick McCabe seventh, 16:42.8.
On the girls side we saw and exciting team battle between St. Dominic Academy and Kearny with St Dominic winning their third straight and their fifth in the past ten Hudson County Championships 30 points to 36.
Led by junior Kayla Sullivan, second at 19:42.7, and senior Suhayla Johnson, third 19:51.5, the St. Dominic girls averaged 20:27 to secure the six point win. Caroline O'Donnell, seventh 20:20.4, Avery Sullivan, 11th 21:06.1, and Mia Martinko, 13th 21:17.9, closed up their scoring five.
Kearny kept the score close feeding off the first place finish by junior Maria Laverde who won with a big 42 second lead at 19:00. They also had a strong mid-pack finish securing spots eighth through tenth thanks to Abigail Rosas, Noelia Almanzar, and Nicolle De La Fuente followed by their fifth scorer Nora Bouayad in 20th.
Union City finished third as a team with 82 points. Secaucus saw their freshman Haley Nowak run to a fourth place finish at 19:53.3, Weehawken's Delaney Rice with 20:07.7 and McNair Academic's Safaa Merghoub 20:18.6 also cracked the top six individually.
Onto the freshmen races where St. Peter's Prep scored a perfect total of 15 points. Max Hartelius earned the win with a 10:45 over the 3200m course, he was followed by teammates Alex Schimmel, Theodore McCarthy, and Antoine Hurtado-Barzac in second through fourth and Richard Harrington closed up the scoring in sixth.
Noah Page of McNair Academic did break up their top five with his fifth place 11:15.1 but did not count toward team scoring.
The girls freshmen race went to McNair Academic's Farangiz Akhadova with a 13:17.3 and a huge lead. She led a close team battle between McNair and Bayonne 31 to 34 for the win. After trading scores through their first two finishers McNair's fourth and fifth were the real decider between the two teams.
|1||McNair Academic HS||31||1+3+5+6+16 (17)||4:15 1-5 Split | 15:07 Avg|
|2||Bayonne HS||34||2+4+7+9+12||2:07 1-5 Split | 15:25 Avg|
Lainey Nguyen of St. Dominic's Academy was second at 14:12.9 and Caitlin Quintos of Bayonne third with 14:28.8.
- Boys - Edwin Klanke (St. Peter's Prep) 15:19.90 / St. Peter's Prep 18pts
- Girls - Maria Laverde (Kearny) 19:00.30 / St. Dominic Academic 30pts
- Boys - Francis Martingale (Memorial WNY) 15:28.80 / St. Peter's Prep 40pts
- Girls - Claire Chapeau (McNair Academic) 18:35.00 / St. Dominic Academy 30pts
- Boys - Fahd Nasser (McNair Academic) 15:30.20 / St. Peter's Prep 36pts
- Girls - Weeshamar Senatus (Hudson Catholic) 19:47.00 / St. Dominic Academy 32pts
- Boys - Younass Barkouch (McNair Academic) 16:23.90 / Memorial WNY 56pts
- Girls - Weeshamar Senatus (McNair Academic) 19:14.80 / Union City 46pts
- Boys - Rafael Hernandez (Memorial WNY) 15:48.50 / St. Peter's Prep 32pts
- Girls - Camille Bertholon (St. Dominic Academy) 19:19.10 / Union City 30pts
- Boys - Rafael Hernandez (Memorial WNY) 15:52 / St. Peter's Prep 39pts
- Girls - Crystal Ortiz (Hudson Catholic) 18:36 / Union City 52pts
- Boys - Jimmy Sause (St. Peter's Prep) 16:03.60 / St. Peter's Prep 21pts
- Girls - Brittany Gibson (McNair Academic) 19:70 / Kearny 52pts
- Boys - Shaquille Sutherland (Dickinson) 16:10.30 / St. Peter's Prep 28pts
- Girls - Erika Alzamora (Kearny) 18:43.11 / McNair Academic 46pts
- Boys - Kevin Ratigan (McNair Academic) 17:06 / Memorial WNY 37pts
- Girls - Kali Kendall (Snyder) 19:43 / St. Dominic Academy 47pts
- Boys - Jose Veras (Dickinson) 16:27 / Dickinson 32pts
- Girls - Cayleigh Solano (Kearny) 20:23 / St. Dominic Academy 44pts
- Boys - Daniel Rondon (North Bergen) 16:45 / Dickinson 39pts
- Girls - Hira Mahmood (McNair Academic) 21:39 / North Bergen 41pts
- Boys - Daniel Rondon (North Bergen) 15:51 / Dickinson 38pts
- Girls - Tania Bernardino (Kearny) 20:39 / Kearny 49pts
- Boys - Deshawn Hill (University Academy) 17:03 / Memorial WNY 62pts
- Girls - Tellisia Williams (McNair Academic) 21:34 / Kearny 47pts
- Boys - Ted Doyle (St. Peter's Prep) 17:13.7 / Memorial WNY 40pts
- Girls - Jennifer Arocho (Kearny) 21:12.8 / Memorial WNY 36pts