Here is our breakdown of the Group 3 outlook for the 2019 season. Below you'll find athletes to watch, returning stats, and a few insights into the Group. Be sure to check out our NJSIAA Classification Returners HUB where you can get a statistical look at every Group and Section
Group 3 Boys Breakdown
- 2018 Individual Champion:
Jack Stanley - Mendham - 15:45
- 2018 Team Champion:
Mendham - 62 pts
- 2018 Results - WATCH the Race
Individuals to Watch
Liam Murphy (Allentown), Jack Jennings (Mendham), Kevin Antczak (Mainland Regional), Luke Lusskin (West Morris Central), Luke Johnson (WWP North), Zachary Hodges (Mendham), Teddy Purdon (Red Bank Regional), Kyle Roeder (Colts Neck), Joseph Locurcio (Freehold Boro) Matthew Bogdan (Colts Neck)
Teams to Watch
- A preview to the individual Meet of Champions title battle could very well be held at Group 3 Championships with Liam Murphy and Jack Jennings in the same group.
- Murphy competed in his first cross country season last fall and adjusted to the sport with flying colors winning five races including a Central Sectional title, was then fifth at Groups and then third at the Meet of Champions. He also qualified for Foot Locker Nationals after a fourth place finish at Northeast Regionals. The momentum carried over to the track where he won an indoor 3200m Meet of Champions title in one of the greatest races in state history, 8:54.22. (Read a summer Q&A with Murphy here)
- Jack Jennings is the top returner in the State at Holmdel Park with his 15:52 from running second during Group 3 Championships last fall. He leads a Mendham squad that returns all but one from last year's squad.. Jennings, Hodges, Kear, Alexion, and Marran projected top five off returning times.
- Mendham is looking to make it three straight Group 3 titles as a team, but they can also do the same with individual titles. The now graduated Mendham star Jack Stanley won Group 3 in 2017 and 2018, Jennings has his work cut out for him with Liam Murphy and others in the group but it is something to definitely keep an eye on and a testament to the quality of their program.
- Mainland Regional senior Kevin Antczak finished eighth at the Meet of Champions last fall running 16:01. He ran well over the winter and spring dropping some major PR time in the 1600m and 3200m. Finished fourth in the 3200m at MOCs indoor with a 9:18.59. He won his South Sectional by over 40 seconds last November and looks to be in strong contention to defend.
- Three individual Sectional winners return to defend with Liam Murphy at Central, Kevin Antczack at South, at Carmel Ohring of Tenafly at North 1. Jennings was second only to his graduated teammate and is the top returner at North 2.
- WWWP North was already a solid team but now add Luke Johnson to the mix. He was ranked fourth in Group 3 this past spring with a 9:25.61 in the 3200m and was the fastest in the 1600m at 4:16.25.
- Middletown North and Ocean City, while not in the top 10, also received votes in our top ten preseason poll.
Boys Individual Returner Stats
Boys Team Returner Stats
Last Five Group 3 Winners
|2018||Mendham||Jack Stanley (Mendham)|
|2017||Mendham||Jack Stanley (Mendham)|
|2016||Colts Neck||Elliot Gindi (Ocean Township)|
|2015||Indian Hills||Joshua Clark (Highland Regional)|
|2014||Summit||Leland Jones (Summit)|