Here is our breakdown of the Group 2 outlook for the 2019 season. Below you'll find athletes to watch, returning stats, and a few insights into the Group. Be sure to check out our NJSIAA Classification Returners HUB where you can get a statistical look at every Group and Section
Group 2 Boys Breakdown
- 2018 Individual Champion:
Devin Hart - Pt. Pleasant Boro - 16:00
- 2018 Team Champion:
Haddonfield Memorial - 42 pts
- 2018 Results - WATCH the Race
Individuals to Watch
Austin Gabay (Cinnaminson), Martin Riddell (Haddonfield), Luke Higgins (Voorhees), Stephen Kasko (Haddonfield), Jesse Campoverde (Lakeland Regional), Grayson Fasolo (Haddonfield), Mike Liberty (Oakcrest)
Teams to Watch
- The NJ#4 ranked Haddonfield boys lead this Group into the new season with the potential to make it three straight Group 2 titles in a row. They won their 17th title last fall which is third all-time among boys squads in any group size.
- While Haddonfield enters as the favorites they will find some definite competition from the Voorhees and Bernards boys who return most of their strength from the 2018 season.
- Haddonfield's #1 scorer, senior Martin Riddell, has been a strong individual contender for years now and is a two-time defending South Group 2 Sectional Champion. Could this be the year he gets the individual Group title?
- No matter what we are going to see a new champion, the decorated Devin Hart has graduated after winning two straight seasons (each one followed by MOCs titles).
- Austin Gabay is the top Holmdel Park returner for Group 2 at 16:01 and is the top returner from the actual Group 2 Championship race having finished third last fall. He ranked top 20 in the state for the 800m, 1600m, and 3200m this past spring. Gabay is looking to become the fifth Cinnaminson athlete to win the individual title. Their past champions include: Dave Zamichieli 1987, Bill Mason 1998, Jon Anderson 2003, and most recently Michael Ungvarsky in 2016.
- Jesse Campoverde had a strong showing this past spring improving his 1600m and 3200m with solid PRs of 4:23.01 and 9:28.38. Could show on the course this fall for the Lakeland senior.
- As mentioned before Riddell is back to defend his South Sectional win, the only other defending Sectional Champ in this Group is Edward Byers of Bernards. Byers led an incredible team attack at North 2 that finished first through fourth individually and finished up the team score at 25 points for the win. Everyone from that top five squad returns this year for Bernards!
- Jack Moran who competed for Wall last season would have been one of the individuals to watch in this Group but he's transferred into the Non-Public A this season joining the NJ#1 ranked Christian Brothers Academy squad.
Boys Individual Returner Stats
Boys Team Returner Stats
Last Five Group 2 Winners
|2018||Haddonfield||Devin Hart (Pt Pleasant Boro)|
|2017||Haddonfield||Devin Hart (Pt Pleasant Boro)|
|2016||Voorhees||Michael Ungvarsky (Cinnaminson)|
|2015||Voorhees||Joe Dragon (High Point)|
|2014||Haddonfield||Sean MacPherson (Sterling)|