Millville freshman Bryanna Craig has shown great potential and performances all season. It all came together Saturday in Greensboro, NC as she became the New Balance Nationals Outdoor Champion in the Heptathlon with 4,958 points. She took over the lead with an event to go in the javelin throw with her mark 114-04 and never looked back finishing second in the final 800m event running 2:21.44.
Not only is this a National Championship for the freshman but it also breaks the National Freshman Record by 24 points. The previous record held by Tyra Gittens of Tennessee since 2014 at 4934, and Gittens has gone on to do some special things at Texas A&M since then. This is also the New Jersey state record by six points overtaking Tia Livingston's 4,952 total from 2015 set at the AAU Junior Olympics.
Craig won the event by 147 and finished top five in four of the seven events. Here is the breakdown of her performances.
- 100m Hurdles - (888 pts) 7th with a 14.65
- High Jump - (795 pts) 5th with a 5-5
- Shot Put - (434 pts) 17th with 28-0.25
- 200m Dash - (823 pts) 4th running 25.71 (-0.3)
- Long Jump - (645 pts) 10th with a mark of 17-05.25 (-0.3)
- Javelin - (569 pts) 1st with a throw of 114-04
- 800m Run - (804 pts) 2nd running 2:21.44