The Westfield girls dropped another huge DMR bomb at the North Shore Pre-Nats on Friday night at the New Balance Track and Field Center in New York.
The Blue Devils torched the oval with a blazing 12:03.36 to take over the top spot in NJ and moved all the up to US#4 this season!!! North Shore of NY was second in a US#6 12:08.55
Westfield's 12:03.36 also destroyed its school record of 12:25.35 that it ran to place fifth at the Yale Invit. last month, is No. 2 all-time in Union County indoor history (Union Catholic ran 11:53.31 at NB Nationals last year) and locks up a spot in both the New Balance Nationals next month and the Penn Relays in April.
How did they do it?
The biggest key for Westfield slicing 22 seconds off its time in a month was the leadoff leg from Boufarah, who was a little banged up and didn't run at Yale. Boufarah's 3:46 and change is 13 seconds faster than what Westfield got at Yale, and her presence allowed Collins to move into the 800 spot where she gave the Blue Devils a four second faster leg than in its race at Yale.
MORE NJ HIGHLIGHTS
- The Ridge girls ran a NJ#2 9:21.33 to win the 4x800! Union Catholic, with two freshmen and a two sophomores, was third in 9:28.15. The splits for coach Tim Mooney's Ridge squad were 2:21.98 for Manon Stephen, 2:18.51 for Olivia Cicchetti, 2:24.17 for Grace LaCapra, and Morgan Lyons anchored in 2:16.67. Abby Granrath, the Union County XC Champ this past fall, split 2:17.38 for UC.
- Nakaja Weaver of North Brunwick ran 7.21 to win the girls 55 dash over Sydney Tucker of Union Catholic, who was second in he season opener in 7.25. Weaver, who has run a NJ#4 7.19 this season, was also third in the LH at 17-6 1/2.
- Collin McCarthy of Jackson unloaded a 50-1 1/4 to win the boys shot put.
- North Brunswick's Ramy Berberena placed second in the 55m dash in a NJ# 12 6.56 and was third in the 200 in a NJ#8 22.41.
- Sebastien Reed of Pitman ran 4:19.17 to finish second in the boys mile
- Noah Coakley of Jackson ran 1:59.86 to place fifth in the 800
- Nicholas Mollica of Jackson 8.00 (7.99 in the trials) to place seventh in the 55m HH
- Jackson ran 1:32.22 to finish fourth in the boys 4x200 relay.
- Hudson Catholic ran a NJ#10 3:25.85 to grab second in the boys 4x400.
- Toms River North placed fourth in the boys SMR in a NJ#4 3:37.11. Jalen Ridgeway anchored in 1:55.39.
- Lorvensky Vilbrun of Elizabeth leaped 21-7 to place second in the boys long jump.
- Adelaide Asante of North Brunswick ran an NJ#4 8.24 to place second in the girls 55 HH, ran 59.63 to get fourth in the girls 400, and went a PR of 25.59 for third in the 200.
- Ruth Pastuer of Columbia was third in the girls HH in 8.44
- Elizabeth placed second in the girls 4x200 relay in 1:46.68.
- Freshman Alexandra Bonn of Union Catholic soared a NJ#9 17-9 in the LJ to place second.