Christian Brothers Academy put together a great all-round meet to roll to its 11th straight title, and Red Bank Catholic won its fourth title in five years at the Monmouth County Championships on Friday at the Bennett Center in Toms River.
CBA, powered by double-winner Liam O'Hara and a remarkable perfomance from its throwers, simply overpowered the competition on the way to a 111-46 victory over runner-up Midldetown North. It's the 28th county title for CBA!!!
O'Hara, a senior, won the 400 in 50.18 and was first in the 55 hurdles in a NJ#10 7.72
CBA put on a clinic in the throwing circle, grabbing places 1-4-5-6-7 as all five guys threw beyond 47 feet! Senior Eros Bottino led the the way for the CBA bomb squad by finishing first with a NJ#2 and PR 59-9 1/2, just a half inch behind state leader John Purvis of Winslow (60-0).
As usual, CBA's distance crew scored big points in the 3,200 as Shaw Powell (9:25.33) and Troy Hill (9:26.78) went 1-2 in the 3,200 for CBA. Powell is now NJ#3 and Hill NJ#5 this season. CBA also picked up a win from Mitch Hall in the high jump (6-0)
In the girls team competition, RBC scored a 44-38 victory over runner-up Howell. Matawan was third with 34.
Junior Julianne Kopec was her sensational self, winning the 800 in 2:17.78 (she's run a NJ#3 2:15.98) and capturing the 1,600 in a NJ#6 4:59.19.
RBC also picked up a win from Tess Darnell in the 400 (58.96). Darnell has run a NJ#6 57.95 this season.
- Middletown North went 1-2-3 in the boys 800 as Kevin Carragher won 2:00.31, Isa Yilmaz placed second in 2:00.55, and Anthony Sclafani took third. in the boys 800 as in 2:02.04. Middletown North also won the 4x400 in 3:31.89 as Matt Conway (53.5) Yilmaz (52.8), K.C. O'Brien (52.5), and Sclafani (52.5) shared the baton.
- Maggie Cahill of Red Bank came up with a huge win in the girls 55 dash in a NJ#9 and PR 7.29.
- Junior Aaron Stillitano of Midldetown South won the 55 dash in a personal best and NJ#6 6.53.
- William Francis of Rumson cleared 11-0 to win the boys pole vault.
- Latiesha Small of Matwan unloaded a PR and NJ#12 38-9 to win the girls shot put
- Senior Katelyn Reid of Middletown North won the 55 hurdles in a NJ#20 8.57 , just off her PR of 8.56.
- Marisa Santamauro of Howell cleared 5-2 to win the girls high jump. Her PR is 5-2.25.
- Dayna Moyer of Matawan matched her PR and NJ#10 of 10-6 when she won the girls pole vault.
- Holmdel captured the girls 4x400 with a time of 4:13.89.
- Cassandra Daniele of Matwan won the girls 3,200 in 11:18.29