The first day of events at New Balance Nationals on Thursday features the future of the sport with plenty of Junior High School and Freshmen Championship events.
In the girls high jump Newark Academy's Selah Dungey cleared 5-03 to win the event. That matches her PR height which also won her the NJISAA Prep B title back in early May, she is also the Non-Public B Champion from this season.
Rancocas Valley freshman Ravin Hood hit a 39-01.25 to win the girls freshmen title. That is a PR for her coming off her previous best mark of 38-04 for 13th at the Meet of Champions this past weekend.
At the Junior HS level Benjamin Shue won the boys shot put with a mark of 47-09.75, he also finished fifth in the discus throwing 153-03.
We have more New Jersey leaders listed below including performances such as the run by Michael Mazero of Paul VI in the freshmen 400m for third at 49.82.
NJ Leaders Day 1 of NBNO
Frosh = Freshmen Division, JHS = Junior High School Division, *** = Winner in that event.
Track Events in Order
- JHS Boys 110H - Amirah Sharpe qualified out of prelims running 15.93. He is recorded as a DNS in finals.
- Frosh Girls 100H - Azariah Christopher of East Orange snagged the 8th qualifying spot out of prelims with 15.10. She went on to finish 6th in finals with a 15.03 (-1.1).
- Frosh Girls 100m - Kayce Darby of Teaneck advances from prelims in 5th running 12.12. She went on to finish 6th in finals at 12.27 (-0.8).
- JHS Boys 400m - Mark Williams of Omega TC led NJ in 20th running 53.89.
- Frosh Girls 400m - Julia Jackson of Scoth Plains, NJ led us in 12th running 57.44 in a close finish with Sanu Jallow of NC who was just behind by .008!
- Frosh Boys 400m - Michael Mazero of Fits Pro TC finished third among freshmen running 49.82!
- JHS Boys 800m - Drayton Kolaras of RGJ Sports TC finished 7th running 2:03.40.
- Frosh Girls 800m - Grace Wills ran 2:19.58 for 10th.
- ***Frosh Boys 800m - Myles Plummer wins the freshmen 800m! Running 1:55.52! Over a 2 second lead on the field.
- Frosh Girls 200m - Christi Nwachuku of Kent Place qualified for finals with a 7th place prelim run of 25.45, she finished 5th in finals running 25.02. Kayce Darby who was 6th in the 100m event earlier just missed advancing from prelims by .02 at 25.47.
- Frosh Girls 2 Mile - Miranda Lorsbach ran to 12th with an 11:40.10.
- Frosh Boys 2 Mile - Anish Agrawal of Plainsboro TC finished 7th at 9:51.00 leading his heat.
- Frosh Boys LJ - Vanton Evans finished 11th jumping 19-10.25.
- Frosh Girls LJ - Katie Kakascik of Clifton TC had a 15-02 in 45th.
- ***JHS Boys SP - Benjamin Shue threw 47-09.75 in the shot put to win by just over 3 inches.
- JHS Boys LJ - Ryan Casinelli placed 2nd with a mark of 20-02.5.
- JHS Girls LJ - Alexandra Bonn of Speed Skills TC 15-0.75 for 22nd.
- Frosh Girls Discus - Olivia Prescott of West Orange threw 112-11 for 5th, Ravin Hood and Carly Cambria in 6th and 7th with 111-05 and 101-09 also from NJ.
- Frosh Boys TJ - Rahim Samuels of East Orange came up 11th after his 42-06.25 in the triple jump.
- Frosh Boys HJ - Malwandla Baloyi of WWPNorth 5th clearing 6-00.5.
- Frosh Girls TJ - Kaia Eder of Delran finished 9th at 35-05.75, with the same distance Anaya Young of Rancocas Valley 10th.
- Frosh Boys SP - Duval Joasil of Steinert 16th at 41-02.25.
- JHS Boys Discus - Benjamin Shue, who won the JHS Shot Put as well, finished 5th in the discus with a mark of 153-03.
- Frosh Girls Pole Vault - Dora Clark-Schoeb cleared 10-00.75 for 15th.
- ***Frosh Girls HJ - Selah Dungey of Newark Academy cleared 5-03 to win the freshman high jump!
- JHS Girls TJ - Alexandra Bonn of Speed Skills TC 8th with a 33-03.75.
- ***Frosh Girls SP - Rancocas Valley freshman Ravin Hood hit 39-01.25 to win the girls freshmen division.