The up and coming New Jersey Middle School Cross Country Championships will unfortunately not be held in 2016 but will return in 2017. The news was officially announced by Meet Director Andy Martin in an email to coaches, parents, athletes, and media on Thursday afternoon.
The cancellation came due to not being able to find a suitable host venue for the meet, the Championship was unfortunately not able to secure a date with their founding-host Six Flags Great Adventure this year. The races have been held at Six Flags for the past three seasons since the Championship started in 2013.
"Our goal has always been to offer a facility that is first class for both the athletes and spectators. This includes a facility that provides a spectator friendly course, adequate parking, adequate rest rooms, and is affordable to rent. We reached out to a number of the top facilities that met these criteria and none of them were available on the date(s) we sought."
The meet will be coming back for the 2017 season and looks to announce their eventual date and location early this spring.
"I know many of your athletes were looking forward to this year's meet (especially the 8th graders). Please convey to them my sincerest apologies for the meet cancellation."
Some great athletes currently in the high school ranks have come through this meet, two examples being the meet record holders. Acasio Pinheiro holds the boys 3,000 meter meet record at 9:39 from his win in 2014, he went on to have freshman success at Wilberforce School and transferred to Princeton HS this summer. Mendham's Hope Tiboni holds the girls record of 10:42 from 2013, she went on to earn a top 15 finish at the Meet of Champions her freshman year in 2014.
Check out more of the meet's individual and team championship history below. We have all-time lists in the database available below as well.
Middle School teams and Meet Directors, send you meet dates, entry information, and results into email@example.com. We have free online registration available as well as hand timed meet results programs.
Southern (in the yellow) won their second straight championship last year. / Photo by Mae Kellert for MileSplit
Meet Records - 3,000 Meter at Six Flags
- Individual Boy | (2014) Acasio Pinheiro The Wilberforce School 9:39
- Individual Girl | (2013) Hope Tiboni Mountain View MS 10:42
- Boys Team | (2013) Mountain View MS 10:54 Average
- Girls Team | (2013) Carl W Goetz MS 11:58 Average
- Boys Team Titles | Southern Regional MS 2 (2015, 2014)
- Girls Team Titles | Carl W Goetz MS 2 (2015, 2013)
- Boys All-Time List Through 2015
- Girls All-Time List Through 2015
- Individual Boy | Richard Gavin Clinton MS 10:08
- Individual Girl | Catherine Wimmer Unattached 11:05
- Boys Team | Southern Regional MS 62 pts 10:58 Average | 0:24 Split
- Girls Team | Carl W Goetz MS 66 pts 12:23 Average | 0:43 Split
- Individual Boy | Acasio Pinheiro The Wilberforce School 9:39
- Individual Girl | Jerika Lufrano Renaissance at Rand MS 11:12
- Boys Team | Southern Regional MS 59 pts 10:59 Average | 0:27 Split
- Girls Team | Montgomery Upper MS 46 pts 12:12 Average | 1:04 Split
- Individual Boy | Paul Keyes Southern Reg MS 9:51
- Individual Girl | Hope Tiboni Mountain View MS 10:42
- Boys Team | Mountain View MS 72 pts 10:54 Average | 1:54 Split
- Girls Team | Carl W Goetz MS 39 pts 11:58 Average | 1:30 Split
The Goetz girls won their second championship in 2015 after also winning the first annual meet in 2013. / Photo by Mae Kellert for MileSplit