Tuesday morning at the NJSIAA offices in Robbinsville, NJ the annual end of season committee meeting took place to look over any items that needed attention moving forward. The committee consists of NJSIAA officials, timers, and coaches from large, small, public, and non-public schools.
The full minutes are located below in the embedded .pdf but we'll lay out some highlights for you.
NEW format for TEAM advancement to the Meet of Champions proposed, a work in progress and still needs to be put up for approval. The individual advancement will remain as is.
- Top 2 teams from each Group automatically advance (12 total teams).
- The next 8 wild card teams will advance through a results MERGE process rather than total team time.
- The language for this process will be developed over the next few weeks and will be presented for program review by the executive board of the NJSIAA at the January 10th meeting for approval.
- Pre-entry 8 athletes for Sectionals, Groups, MOCs but permitted to make up to 7 changes the day of the meets provided the athletes are listed on the MileSplit team roster by entry date. Coaches must make changes as soon as they arrive at meet site.
- Groups will start at 9:30am instead of 10:00am next year.
- 2018 Dates: 11/3 for Sectionals (Possible move away from Garret Mtn.), 11/10 for Groups, 11/17 for MOCs.
- Group awards will be presented to boys and girls together, so all Group 1 awards at one time.
- Cross country participation numbers are on the rise in NJ!
- There was discussion about adjusting Holmdel's start finish line to better accommodate the large number of competitors. This is a work in progress and it remains to be seen what can be done.
- The NJSIAA is in need of younger officials and are looking for ways to better recruit newcomers. If interested please contact email@example.com.